What to consider before starting a landscape project
If you are considering redoing your landscaping or starting a brand new project, you will want to consider these planning tips:
1) Make a list of your wants and needs. Do you want a stone or concrete patio? Do you need wind or sun shelter? Do you prefer annual or perennial plants? Understanding your wants and needs will help put a design and plan in motion. Drive around your neighborhood to see what others have done and to get an idea of shapes, sizes and layouts.
2) Study your wind and sun patterns. You will want to consider when you will use your patio the most and what areas of your yard will provide the most shade. Knowing your wind and sun patterns will help you get the most out of your landscape design.
3) Know your yard and plan your design around the areas you enjoy the most. If having a cup of coffee under the maple tree is your idea of a relaxing morning, plan your landscaping around that space. Set up some patio chairs, planters or other materials in your current space to see where you will spend and enjoy most of your time.
4) Start small and work up from there. Read a few design magazines, watch some home and garden programs or take a peek at some videos on youtube or get ideas on Pinterest. Visit a local landscape design centre to get some ideas on layouts and products. Get some design ideas and then slowly start to build up your own design.
5) Hire help, if design and planning a landscaping project is overwhelming, hire help. Landscape contractors can take the project from the ground up and are professionally trained in the area of design, specification and construction. Landscaping is a project that will stick around for a long time so it is smart to do it right the first time.